Call Amelia at 608-310-3852 if you need assistance with any special circumstances or questions.
- Advanced courses, ACA instructor training, and First Aid courses have special refund policies and may require a non-refundable deposit. Please check those course descriptions for specific refund policies.
- For all other courses, full refunds or transfer credit will be given for cancellations made 10 or more business days before the start of your course.
- Nine to three business days before your course a 50% refund or transfer credit will be given.
- NO refunds or transfer credit will be given for cancellations or transfers made 2 days before your course begins, if you don't attend or if you leave the course early.
- All transfers and cancellations must be confirmed by Rutabaga Outdoor Programs.
- A full refund, or reschedule, will be given if we have to cancel the course for any reason.
Rutabaga reserves the right to make final decisions about holding classes when there is the potential for inclement weather. Safety is our number one concern, and we will cancel classes if it is extremely cold or windy or if the potential for severe storms is high. That said, we can still enjoy paddling on days that are cool and drizzly, and we do hold classes in these conditions.
If Rutabaga cancels or significantly shortens a class due to weather, we can offer you another class date (based on availability) or a refund. If we feel the weather is adequate for class and you choose not to attend, we may not offer these options. Exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis.
Rutabaga maintains a recorded Weather Line that is updated regularly in-season to reflect current class status. Please call if you have concerns about whether your class will be held.
Outdoor Programs Weather Line
Adult courses require that students be 16 years and older. For kids' courses the ages are listed with each class. Bear in mind that the curricula for our kids' classes are designed to be developmentally appropriate for the targeted ages. Overall, our students range in ages from 6 to 90!
Courses fill on a first-come, first-served basis. Full payment is required upon registration unless otherwise indicated in the course description. Some of our more advanced courses have payment schedules noted in the course descriptions.
Course tuition includes all equipment needed unless otherwise indicated in the course description. In our pre-course information packet we will send a suggested list of personal gear to bring, such as watershoes, sunglass strap, water bottle, lunch/snack.
Most of our on-water Adult courses consist of 5-6 students and one instructor. These numbers may vary in our advanced and specialty courses. Most of our kids' programs consist of 10 students and 2 instructors, with a 6:1 student to instructor ratio.
Our courses require a minimum number of participants to run. If the minimum is not met five business days prior to your course, the course will be cancelled. At that time you may transfer to another course or cancel your reservation and receive a full refund.
Ten to fourteen days prior to your course you will receive a email packet of information from us. This packet includes an equipment list, directions to your meeting location (all classes meet at Rutabaga unless otherwise noted on your confirmation letter) and other course-specific information. We prefer to confirm via email to be more cost effective and environmentally friendly!